Sunday, April 11, 2021

Cowboy Church #114

 Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of Cowboy Church. 

Today's musical selection begins with The Easter Brothers with Pass Me Not. This hymn was written by Fanny Crosby (Blessed AssuranceNear the Cross, Take the World, But Give Me Jesus). The song first appeared in Christian Associations' Songs of Devotion in 1870.  Hymnologist, William J. Reynolds told the story how this song was written during Fanny's visit to a prison in 1868, “After she had spoken and some of her hymns had been sung, she heard one of the prisoners cry out in a pleading voice, ‘Good Lord, do not pass me by’; Following Doane’s suggestion, she wrote a hymn that evening incorporating the line, “Pass me not, O gentle Savior.” Pass Me Not is said to be her first hymn to reach this level of fame. Now comes Lynn Anderson singing Bridge of Surrender. This comes from her 2015 album, Bridges. Bridges was Lynn's first gospel album and her last album ever. It remains a delightful end to a fantastic career in country music. Now we join Roy Rogers and Dale Evans as they sing Thank You God. This recording comes a 1956 Little Golden Record, where it was pared with Roy and Dale singing Let There Be Peace on Earth. Roy and Dale were joined by The Ranch Hands and Mitch Miller and His Orchestra. This song reminds us that the blessings of God are all around us and how thankful we should be for all the blessings he has given us. Up next is The Purple Hulls with Grandma's Garden from their 2012 album, Close to Home. Now we join The Monroe Brothers for a lively 1937 recording of On That Old Gospel Ship. This is bluegrass gospel at its finest. Now we join Alan Jackson with his recording of Love Lifted Me. This song was written by James Rowe in 1912 and was based on two stories from the book of Matthew. One was asleep in the boat with the apostles during a storm. As the apostles were terrified of the storm, they couldn't understand how Jesus was so calm that he could take a nap. They wake Jesus up from his nap and Jesus simply tells the storm to stop and it does. The other story also involved the apostles, Jesus and the sea. It was about how when his eyes were fixed upon Jesus, he was able to walk on the water, but he lost the ability when his faith faltered and he looked away. Still Jesus was a faithful friend and lifted Peter into a boat. This recording comes from Alan's 2nd gospel album, 2013's Precious Memories Vol. 2. This album and its processor are pure gospel music perfection and show that Alan has an incredible talent for gospel music. If you like gospel music or country these two albums are must haves even for those who aren't normally Alan Jackson fans. Next comes Johnny Cash with In The Sweet Bye and Bye. This song came about because of a friendship between composer, Joseph Webster and poet, Dr. Sanford Fillmore Bennett. One day Webster was depressed and Dr. Bennett recognized this. Dr. Bennett asked his friend what was wrong. Webster replied, "Oh nothing. Everything will be alright by and by." This words brought up an idea in Bennett and he wrote down three verses and a chorus to this song as soon as he could. He handed it to his friend saying, “Here is your prescription, Joe.” Webster loved the lyrics and wrote music for them in practically no time at all. Dr. Bennett later said,  “It was not over thirty minutes from the time I took my pen to write the words before two friends with Webster and myself were singing the hymn.” The hymn was first published in 1868 and went on to great fame since. Today's musical selection ends with The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1948 recording of Rounded Up in Glory. 

























This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 1 John 5:14

 Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. James 5:13

And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Matthew 6:7

 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matthew 26:41

I call on you, my God, for you will answer me; turn your ear to me and hear my prayer. Psalm 17:6

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy. John 16:22

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD: But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more. Jeremiah 31:31-34

And He said, “My presence shall go with you, and I will give you rest.” Exodus 33:!4

Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you. Genesis 28:15

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.” Revelation 21:3

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

How priceless is your unfailing love, O God! People take refuge in the shadow of your wings. Psalm 36:7

See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 1 John 3:1

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 1 John 4:7

Thanks for joining me. Come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you until we meet again.









No comments:

Post a Comment