Sunday, July 19, 2020

Cowboy Church #67

Hello my friends and welcome back for another service of cowboy church.

Today's musical selection begins with Gene Autry singing Dear Hearts and Gentle People in a clip from the movie, Beyond The Purple Hills (1950), While this isn't exactly a gospel song it does include the line "They read the good book from Fri. 'till Monday." Next comes Hank Williams singing Gathering Flowers for the Master Bouquet from a 1951 episode of the Mother's Best radio show. The song was originally written by Marvin Baumgardner for the 1940 hymnal, Golden Key. At this time the song was already familiar to country music fans as The Maddox Brothers & Rose recorded it in 1948 and Kitty Wells recorded it the same year. In 1949 The Stanley Brothers recorded the song. It is hard to no which one of these (if any of these) recordings inspired Hank to record this song. This is followed by Kitty Wells singing Mathew 24. Next is The Louvin Brothers with Weapon of Prayer. Don't let this world fool you, we are constantly engaged in spiritual warfare. However God has given us many ways to fight the temptation that Satan heaps upon us. One of these is prayer. Prayer keeps on mind on God and gives us the strength to fight and press on. Remember this as you listen to Louvin Brothers perform this wonderful song. On the theme of prayer, Roy Rogers will keep today's music going on with A Cowboy's Sunday Prayer. This comes from his (and his wife Dale's) 1959 album, Jesus Loves Me. This is followed by The Sons of the Pioneers with their 1948 recording of Lead Me Gently Home Father. The band had recorded this song before in 1937 and I personally love both versions. Afterwards is The Charlie Daniels Band with Tribulation from their 1996 Christian album, Steel Witness. Today's musical selection ends with The Killer, Jerry Lee Lewis singing the gospel classic, The Lilly of the Valley

























Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established. Proverbs 16:3

The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. Romans 8:6


When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy. Psalm 94:19

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. 1 Corinthians 16:13

For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 1 Corinthians 3:11


  
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 1 John 3:1
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 1 John 4:7
Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”  Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?” Jesus answered him,  “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father’s who sent me. John 14:21-24

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Matthew 7:21

he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, Titus 3:5

If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. Romans 10:9-10


He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time. 2 Timothy 1:9

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9

A man who is kind benefits himself, but a cruel man hurts himself. Proverbs 11:17

Ponder the path of your feet; then all your ways will be sure. Do not swerve to the right or to the left; turn your foot away from evil. Proverbs 4:26-27

Thank you for joining me come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you.

-Michael J. Ruhland


No comments:

Post a Comment