Sunday, May 10, 2020

Cowboy Church #56

Hello my friends and welcome back to another service of Cowboy Church.

Today's musical selection begins with The Statler Brothers singing In The Garden. The introduction of this song has Harold Reid showing why his bass voice was just so undeniably cool. How many times I wish I had his voice, cannot be counted. However just as great is all of them harmonizing perfectly at the end. Few vocal groups reach as close to perfection with their harmonies as The Statler Brothers did and this is most evident on the group's gospel recordings. This is followed by Merle Haggard with a beautiful rendition of Softly and Tenderly. This may be one of my favorite versions of this great gospel classic. The song was written by an Ohio business man named Will Thompson in 1880. When evangelist Dwight L. Moody was on his death bed he told the songwriter, "Will, I would rather have written ‘Softly and Tenderly Jesus Is Calling’ than anything I have been able to do in my whole life." This was appropriate as Will decided to make songwriting his career while at a meeting held by Moody. Next is The Monroe Brothers with their 1937 recording of My Last Moving Day. Though this song is much less known than the many already established gospel classics the group recorded at this time it is just as good. This is followed by Cowboy Copas with Four Books in the Bible. This is a song with a very important lesson for us Christians, especially at a time like this. Right now many people are worried about what is happening now s well as what the future holds. This song reminds us that at times like this, the best place to turn is the Bible. We can take comfort in knowing that God has overcome the evils of this world and that the same God loves each of us dearly. As Romans 8:31 says "What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" No matter how scary this world gets, God knows what he is doing and will always be there for us. Afterwards is Roy Rogers, Dale Evans and The Sons of the Pioneers performing The Place Where I Worship on TV in 1962. Next comes George Strait with I Found Jesus on the Jail House Floor. This song was written by Earl Clark and Greg Hudik and part of his 2003 album Honkytonkville. This song besides just being very fast paced and fun, also reminds us that Jesus is there for us even in the darkest places and can use the dark times in our lives as a way to bring us to the light of his pure goodness. What song could possibly fit one of these Cowboy Church posts more than Omar Stiefer's Cowboy For Christ? Nobody could do bluegrass gospel music quite like the Stanley Brothers and that is shown by their great version of Over in the Glory Land from their 1959 album, For The Good People. Despite the fact that at times Johnny Cash's father could be cruel, even once stating that "God took the wrong son" (referring to John's brother Jack, who died at a very young age), John never stopped loving his father. This is especially evident when John spoke about the gospel song, Let the Lower Lights be Burning for the booklet accompanying the Unearthed Box Set. There Johnny wrote, "This is a very special song for me and I'll tell you what it means to me now. When my father was dying he was in a coma, and all my brothers and sisters and I were gathered around the bed and we felt we were telling him goodbye. But my oldest sister Louise said, 'Let's sing to him.' So we started singing 'Let the Lower Lights be Burning.' At one point I looked at him and though he had been asleep in a coma for days, his lips started moving and he started singing that song along with us. The more we sang it the more he sang. And he opened his eyes and he looked around at us as we were singing. And of course everybody had a good cry as we watched him and listened to him as he sang, 'Let the Lower Lights be Burning' with us. So when I was picking songs for this album, this had to be in it." Today's musical selection ends with George Jones singing Where We'll Never Grow Old.






























The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” Romans 8:15

The name of the Lord is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. Proverbs 18:10

Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. 1 Corinthians 15:8

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him. 1 John 3:6

What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law but under grace? By no means! Romans 6:15

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. Matthew 6:14

Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. James 3:10

Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Galatians 6:8

So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. Galatians 5:16

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. Romans 1:16

that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. Revelations 3:20

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19

A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit. Proverbs 15:13

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Thank you for joining me and come back next week for another service of Cowboy Church. Happy trails to you, until we meet again.

-Michael J. Ruhland









No comments:

Post a Comment