Sunday, March 15, 2020

Cowboy Church #48


Hello my friends and welcome to another service of Cowboy Church.

Today's musical selection starts with Dale Evans singing Where You Are. Next is a song that is performed by what some may consider a strange combination, Johnny Cash and U2. This song, The Wander, was written by Bono in 1993 (under the working title The Preacher). The song was inspired by the book of Ecclesiastes, but takes place in a future time with a narrator who is worried about the lack of God in society. It is considered to be one of Bono's best songs, but for some reason whenever he tried to record it himself, it didn't work for him. Then he came up with the brilliant idea of having Johnny Cash sing the song (this idea came to Bono when he learned Johnny was going to be in Dublin). Bono would say that Johnny would teach him a lot about how to deliver a song like this during this recording section giving advice about how to put over each word effectively. Johnny told a reporter, "I don't know if it will ever be released or even what it's called." The song would be released on the U2 album, Zooropa and John would state that this song gave him a sense of artistic renewal. Next is The Monroe Brothers with their high energy 1937 recording of On My Way to Glory. This followed by another bit of bluegrass flavored gospel with The Stanley Brothers Have A Little Talk With Jesus. This is followed by even more bluegrass gospel music with Ricky Skaggs performing Little Mountain Church House. Next The Sons of the Pioneers remind us to Read the Bible Everyday in a classic 1948 recording. This is followed by The Sons of the San Joaquin with an upbeat fun version of the gospel classic, The Unclouded Day. This recording comes from their incredible 1997 album, Gospel Trails. Today's musical selection finishes with The Carter Family's classic 1927 recording of Can The Circle Be Unbroken. This song was based off of the 1907 Christian hymn (written by Charles H. Gabriel and Ada R. Habershon) Will the Circle Be Unbroken. Uncle A.P. reworked this song changing the lyrics to be about the death of a mother. Though this version would be covered by an incredible amount of artists many of them would change the title back to Will the Circle Be Unbroken as well as changing that one word in the chorus. However these cover versions would use A.P.'s lyrics for the rest of the song. This is one of my all time favorite songs, because it is a sad song, but one which also finds hope within its darkness. This is a song about trusting in God in times when it is very difficult to which is something many gospel songs don't cover but which many Christians struggle with.























Psalm 27




1 The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When the wicked advance against me to devour me, it is my enemies and my foes who will stumble and fall.
3 Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident.
4 One thing I ask from the LORD, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.
5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his sacred tent and set me high upon a rock.
6 Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD.
7 Hear my voice when I call, LORD; be merciful to me and answer me.
8 My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, LORD, I will seek.
9 Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, God my Savior.
10 Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me.
11 Teach me your way, LORD; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors.
12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, spouting malicious accusations.
13 I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.


14 Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

Psalm 25

1 In you, LORD my God, I put my trust.
2 I trust in you; do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me.
3 No one who hopes in you will ever be put to shame, but shame will come on those who are treacherous without cause.
4 Show me your ways, LORD, teach me your paths.
5 Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.
6 Remember, LORD, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old.
7 Do not remember the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you, LORD, are good.
8 Good and upright is the LORD; therefore he instructs sinners in his ways.
9 He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way.
10 All the ways of the LORD are loving and faithful toward those who keep the demands of his covenant.
11 For the sake of your name, LORD, forgive my iniquity, though it is great.
12 Who, then, are those who fear the LORD? He will instruct them in the ways they should choose.
13 They will spend their days in prosperity, and their descendants will inherit the land.
14 The LORD confides in those who fear him; he makes his covenant known to them.
15 My eyes are ever on the LORD, for only he will release my feet from the snare.
16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted.
17 Relieve the troubles of my heart and free me from my anguish.
18 Look on my affliction and my distress and take away all my sins.
19 See how numerous are my enemies and how fiercely they hate me!
20 Guard my life and rescue me; do not let me be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.
21 May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope, LORD, is in you.


22 Deliver Israel, O God, from all their troubles!


From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Matthew 4:17

Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God's kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? Romans 2:4

Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy. Proverbs 28:13

Many plans are in a man's heart, But the counsel of the LORD will stand. Proverbs 19:21

For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. Isaiah 55:8

 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. Jeremiah 29:11-12

 This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all. 1 John 1:5

For whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved. Romans 10:13

Thanks for joining me come back next week for more Cowboy Church. Happy trails til we meet again.




















-Michael J. Ruhland 

No comments:

Post a Comment